Monday, September 1, 2014

And Away We Go!

So...I suppose that it might be a good idea to explain the reason behind this blog.

When I first started working in a museum as a paid staff member, I thought that the work would be slow paced, quiet and somewhat introspective in nature.  Coming to the field as a long time volunteer, I had always been on the interpretive side of things and never really saw the administrative activities of the museums I served.  I also came to the field from the corporate business insurance world where frenetic activity was the order of the day.  I assumed, and as the old saying goes, I made an.....well you know the old saying about assuming!  Well, needless to say, I was wrong.  My time at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine has been nothing short of exciting, fast paced and at least somewhat crazy.

I have now been a museum director for 11 years.  Daily I find myself drawing on the experiences of years spent in various roles as:  parent, Boy Scout leader, firefighter, police officer, insurance executive, musical instrument maker, musician, tour guide, public speaker, ordained Catholic Deacon and entrepreneur.  As you may guess by my varied background, I am easily bored and rather enjoy my Attention Deficit Disorder.  And it is all of these experiences that lead me to want to have a blog.

I want to share some of my daily thoughts, concerns and ideas with others.  I do not simply want to put my ideas out in a public forum. I want  to invite everyone to share their ideas on those topics I cover.  I want to also invite everyone to write in with ideas or questions they would like to see me take on.  I want to have a open, respectful place where many can come together and share thoughts and ideas on a broad variety of topics from business administration to history, leadership to marketing and nearly anything else that involves the universe of history, museums and culture.

So...welcome to my musings.....I can't wait to see where this all goes!  



6 comments:

  1. Great idea, George! Can't wait to see how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your musings are often amusing so I'm looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I will try and be amusing, if not punny.

      Delete
  4. I've added you to my reading list!!! Looking forward to your "musings!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I hope you will consider making suggestion of topics to cover. I would love to have your input.

      Delete